Statement of E6 Safety Policy
It is the overriding policy of the Department that experimental work, whether associated with teaching or research, be done efficiently and safely. All who work in the Department are required to observe the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
The Head of Department is responsible for implementing University Safety Policy and has delegated certain aspects of the day-to-day management of Safety to the relevant Safety Officers concerned with Biological Safety, Chemical Safety, Genetic Manipulation and Radiation Protection.
There is a Departmental Safety Committee comprised of Representatives from each area of the Department. In addition to the Specialist Advisors, the Committee provides a forum for the discussion of all aspects of Safety and meets termly.
A full list of safety contacts in the Department is available here
Safety in the Department begins with the individual’s personal responsibility. But, in addition, each member of academic staff, each research worker, and each technician in charge of a section or a laboratory has a statutory duty to take reasonable care for persons under his or her supervision and for visitors to his area.
All visitors to the Department are required to comply with the current safety regulations, and
all members of the Department visiting other Departments or organisations, are expected to comply with the safety requirements of the host institution.
Matters affecting safety under the Health and Safety at Work Act must be dealt with at once and any delay must be reported to the Departmental Safety Officer.
Hub Risk Assessments and Associated Documents
- 1_RA-Fumigation (word format) updated 280120
- 2_Maintenance User Authorisation form updated 200120
- 3_RA-Cl2 Bloodwork updated 270120
- 4_Local Rules-Confocal microscopes updated 200120
- 5_RA-Display Screen Equipment updated 200120
- 6_RA-FACSanalyser-alignment updated 260120
- 7_RA-FACSanalyser-configuration updated 260120
- 8_RA-confocal-alignment&configuration updated 260120
- 9_RA-confocal-use updated 200120
- 10_RA AriaIII, Influx cell sorters operation updated 270120
- 11_AriaIII and Influx cell sorters local rules updated 270120
- 12_RA-Glassware and sharps updated 280120
- 13_RA-General Office work updated 200120
- 14_RA-Lone/Late Working updated 270120
- 15_RA-Electrical Equipment updated 280120
- 16_Biohazard assessment form for cell sorters updated 260120
- 17_Confocal laser safety declaration updated 260120
- 19_SOP for operation of FACSJazz cell sorters updated 200120
- 20_Storage and Handling of Liquid Nitrogen updated 260120
- 21_phenotyping updated 280120
- 22_microdissection microscope updated 200120
- 23_Manual Handling updated 260120
- 24_analyser deblocking SOP updated 200120