Statement of E6 Safety Policy
It is the overriding policy of the Department that experimental work, whether associated with teaching or research, be done efficiently and safely. All who work in the Department are required to observe the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
The Head of Department is responsible for implementing University Safety Policy and has delegated certain aspects of the day-to-day management of Safety to the relevant Safety Officers concerned with Biological Safety, Chemical Safety, Genetic Manipulation and Radiation Protection.
There is a Departmental Safety Committee comprised of Representatives from each area of the Department. In addition to the Specialist Advisors, the Committee provides a forum for the discussion of all aspects of Safety and meets termly.
A full list of safety contacts in the Department is available here
Safety in the Department begins with the individual’s personal responsibility. But, in addition, each member of academic staff, each research worker, and each technician in charge of a section or a laboratory has a statutory duty to take reasonable care for persons under his or her supervision and for visitors to his area.
All visitors to the Department are required to comply with the current safety regulations, and
all members of the Department visiting other Departments or organisations, are expected to comply with the safety requirements of the host institution.
Matters affecting safety under the Health and Safety at Work Act must be dealt with at once and any delay must be reported to the Departmental Safety Officer.
Hub Risk Assessments and Associated Documents
- 1_RA-Fumigation (word format) updated 200116
- 2_Maintenance User Authorisation form (word format) updated 010915
- 3_RA-cat2 Bloodwork(word format) updated 040517
- 4_Local Rules-Confocal microscopes (word format) updated 200116
- 5_RA-VDU updated 250116
- 6_RA-FACSanalyser-alignment (word format) updated 250116
- 7_RA-FACSanalyser-configuration (word format) updated 250116
- 8_RA-confocal-alignment&configuration (word format) updated 250116
- 9_RA-confocal-use (word format) updated 250116
- 10_RA AriaIII cell sorters operation(word format) updated 201015
- 11_AriaIII cell sorters laser local rules(word format) updated 211015
- 12_RA-Glassware and sharps updated 200116
- 13_RA-Office work updated 250116
- 14_RA-Lone Working updated 200116
- 15_RA-Electrical Equipment updated 250116
- 16_Biohazard assessment form for cell sorters(word format) updated 071215
- 17_Confocal laser safety declaration(word format) updated 010915
- 19_SOP for operation of FACSJazz cell sorter(word format) updated 010914
- 20_storage and handling of liquid nitrogen updated 010914
- 21_phenotyping updated 250216
- 22_microdissection microscope updated 250116
- 23_Manual Handling updated 250116
- 24_analyser deblocking SOP updated 180116